I used to say, it will NEVER get here. It seems as though I will never get on that plane to Spain! But here it is, less than two weeks away, and I am freaking out! I bought a HUGE bright blue suitcase yesterday, and now it's hitting me.
My last day as a writer for the Ponte Vedra Recorder was last Friday-now that was weird. I worked there for three years, and it was the first place I worked after graduating from college. Receiving cards, e-mail and presents from friends and co-workers was wonderful, but I had to think-am I crazy for doing this?
Am I crazy to leave a great job, great friends and a very comfortable existence in Jacksonville, Fla.? My host family-Sara and her 18-year-old son Eduardo do not speak English, so I am very excited to soak up the Spanish on day one. Yes, finding their home from the Granada airport will be tricky, but this is what I'm thinking. If I can do this on my own, I can do almost anything. And that is exactly why I am daytripping across the world, ripping myself from my comfort zone.
Yes, it's exciting, but it's also a test of independance and mental strength in my opinion. I have been corresponding with my new family via e-mail in Spanish, so the language doesn't worry me too much. But when I'm lost or frustrated-how will my language skills hold up? They say you will start to dream in Spanish once you really get it. So what and who will I be dreaming about back in Jacksonville? I guess you will have to keep reading my blog to find out. I hope to update this thing regularly with photos and such:) Sept. 2 is coming up fast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Trust me from experience, it'll get here and you'll be gone before you know it.
Post a Comment