

Sept 5. Mood-Very happy, but here's a funny story, I explain these photos toward the end of the blog....
So I met my first gypsy today. Or rather, she met me. My friend Misae from Japan and I went to get an upclose look at La Catedral, and as we entered the gates, a shriveled older woman grabbed my elbow, whirled me around and said in Spanish. Take this, take this! She was handing out sprigs of rosemary, and I immediatly said no thank you. But she grabbed my shoulders, so i stepped back. Misae is looking at the church schedule, and back at me over her shoulder. I was being forceful, but polite, when she grabbed my hand and said in English..."You have long life. Your life will change next year. You and your love will return to Granada next year." That's got to be what she says to everybody....I yanked my hand away, so no thank you, and then she asked for money. As dad has predicted, another woman was circling my bag, which I had transferred to my front. I "escaped" and I'm pretty sure they shouted a bunch of expletives at me:)
But....The most exciting news of the day, I have the Internet in my apartment. I feel much more connected, and happier. So I didn't sleep very well last night, probably because I don't have an alarm, and I was worried that I didn't set my cell phone correctly. I tried to set it to Spanish time, but it screwed up the hours and minutes, and get this....there is no clock in this house! Also, my laptop doesn't have the right time. I was screwed. So I guessed, and made sure to wake up in enough time to do my homework, shower and walk the 15 minutes to school. Sucess, but it proved a fitfull sleep. Classes went by so fast today-I swear, the next time I looked up it was 2p.m., and Pilar was yelling at me and Misae to come with her to open my bank account. I knew this would be a treat. Pilar is llitaerally making us run to the bank, because en realidad, es 1:50, and the bank will close in 10 minutes for the entire day.....
We get there with no line, but by the time we are finished, there was a line about 10 people deep behind us. The customers were agitated and not afraid to show it, tapping their feet, saying things under their breath, looking at their watch. Pilar left me to fend for myself while she helped Misae. This was going to be fun. But dear Ignacio was very kind, and I spoke Spanish the entire time. I'm glad I stuck my passport in my bag this morning because I needed it, and like any good Girl Scout, I memorized my new address. I still have to go to the police station and get a card of residency to complete the process. But I felt so good when I left there, since Pilar complimented me on my success. I will still miffed from all the looks I was getting, and how another man behind the desk called us "stupid exchange students." Oh well.
Since class was over, Misae and I walked back to our apartments, talking about the weekend. We decided to meet back at her apartment after la siesta. This time, I took a SIESTA. But remember, I still don't have a clock, and guestimated the time, hoping I would not sleep for hours. I woke up at what I thought was 5:30, and left the apartment. Seeing an older woman with a watch, I asked her for the time. I swear she said 6:30 and I freaked out, worrying that Misae had been waiting for 30 minutes. I pretty much ran past the bonsai store, the pharmacy, the laundromat and everybody on the street only to find no Misae. I rang her apartment number, went upstairs only for her to tell me I was right on time. Whew!! All of the teachers tell me that I go by the rules too much. I'm too much on time, or worry about the right numbers for my bank account. Pilar said to me in broken English-"You like too much the law."
So Misae and I walked around a new part of Granada, the Plaza Bib-Rambla. There were Italian restaurants, street performers and some of the tiniest, most charming streets I have ever seen. We walked down many, and marveled at all of the fans, Granada souveniers and traditional flamenco garb. Todos para las touristas.
And now I was on a mission for a phone. So guess what? T-Mobile does NOT work over here. All this frustration for nothing....I went to a store called Orange, which is one of the biggest cell providers here. But most people, even if they live here pay as they go for minutes. Everybody texts rather than makes phone calls. I went up the counter, told the woman, Necesito una carjeta prepagado por mi mobile, and she began going on and on in Spanish until I asked tentativly, so you speak English. Turns out she was from Australia and has lived here for 8 years! Perfect. I bought a small LG phone, Misae did too, and we are so happy with our Spanish number. It is free for me to recieve texts, but the cheapest plan for that means 70 cents in Euros to send one. So I won't be sending any...but it is good for emergencies and to call my fellow students in Spain. And I have a special plan just for students where the calls are cheaper at night......
I stopped in my first grocery store o mercado for some razors and a bottled water. Wow. The woman who checked me out was on the phone, laughing and flirting with you knows who, and never acknowledged me. I had to laugh. And the woman in front of me was lamenting about some crazy rash under her arm...ick....and she showed us all. Hmmm. I stifled a giggle and walked on home for la cena, or dinner.
Tonight was fun because Jeff, Ben and I sat in the kitchen while Sara made hamburgers and a green soup made with vegetables I have never heard of. But it was delicious-I know there were potatoes in there somewhere and some scallions... the photo I have posted is a typical Spanish lunch, eaten always around 2:30. Today was potatoes, green beans and carrots with a cold tomatoe sauce-which I love, and croquettas de pollo. And the soup I described earlier. Sara always puts a huge piece of bread with the meal, but I usually put it back in the bag. It is so much, and very filling. And then they take a nap afterward!! But most Spainards don't eat much for the rest of the day, perhaps only tapas, vino o ice cream.
We all spoke our best Spanish, and had a few laughs...I've also attached a photo from dinner. Ben is in the green, Jeff is drinking, and of course, that's Sara, my host mother. It's about 11p.m., and everbody is going out-but again, I can't muster it. I'd rather play on the Internet and feel connected again. I have plenty of time to enjoy the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment