How would you explain the reason behind the different pronunciations between “I read books” in the present tense and “I have read lots of books" in the past tense?
It’s just plain hard.
Every Tuesday, I give an English class to students from 49-years-old to 14. Quite an experience. They are so excited to learn, they are jumping out of their seats, tugging at my sleeves, tapping me politely on the shoulder when I’m looking the other way. What I like to call "inspirational chaos." Everyone is taking notes, and shouting English words in thick Spanish accents, and all I can do at this point is translate phrases for them. Like Jesus’ request for “I like your face.” Hmm. And Carlos, the director, wants to know how to say “Please don’t eat so fast” for the little ones.
I had a great time! We did the basics of course, My name is….I am so many years old….I am from….and then some verbs in present tense. Wow. I brought some futbol and Formula 1 magazines for the boys and stickers for the little girls to get conversations started. That certainly did the trick. The cookies I brought were gobbled up in seconds, so next week it’s going to be onions, lentils, garbanzos, bread and other things for dinner.
I also brought Sheridan-my friend from Britain who has come to Granada to live as an artist-and he kept the kids busy by drawing with them. That still didn’t stop them from grabbing the marker out of my hand when I wasn’t looking, or drawing directly on the tiny white board I was using. It was quite a scene. But I couldn’t stop smiling….
I’m already looking forward to next Tuesday…..and who knows who will pull up a chair around the table for a quick English lesson.
It’s just plain hard.
Every Tuesday, I give an English class to students from 49-years-old to 14. Quite an experience. They are so excited to learn, they are jumping out of their seats, tugging at my sleeves, tapping me politely on the shoulder when I’m looking the other way. What I like to call "inspirational chaos." Everyone is taking notes, and shouting English words in thick Spanish accents, and all I can do at this point is translate phrases for them. Like Jesus’ request for “I like your face.” Hmm. And Carlos, the director, wants to know how to say “Please don’t eat so fast” for the little ones.
I had a great time! We did the basics of course, My name is….I am so many years old….I am from….and then some verbs in present tense. Wow. I brought some futbol and Formula 1 magazines for the boys and stickers for the little girls to get conversations started. That certainly did the trick. The cookies I brought were gobbled up in seconds, so next week it’s going to be onions, lentils, garbanzos, bread and other things for dinner.
I also brought Sheridan-my friend from Britain who has come to Granada to live as an artist-and he kept the kids busy by drawing with them. That still didn’t stop them from grabbing the marker out of my hand when I wasn’t looking, or drawing directly on the tiny white board I was using. It was quite a scene. But I couldn’t stop smiling….
I’m already looking forward to next Tuesday…..and who knows who will pull up a chair around the table for a quick English lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment