Tuesday, September 2, 2008

About to be hit the friendly skies with Lufthansa...




Sept. 2 6:15p.m.Mood-a little lightheaded

“Where are you going?” the woman behind the Lufthansa desk asked me. Her quizzical expression immediately made me nervous, and I said, “Granada.”

“I’m sorry, we haven’t had anyone fly there from here in six years, so I forgot the codes,” she apologized.
Of course I replied, “I sure hope they have an airport there still.”

This was after I had to pay $50 for my big, fat, overweight suitcase. How else do you pack for six months? I will confess I packed three pairs of heels-one patent leather, one metallic silver and one polka dot…..
Once I was rid of that mountain of a suitcase, my parents and I headed to gate 80. We said our goodbyes, and I funneled in to a bottleneck of passengers. I learned I fit in to the “Casual Traveler” category. Expert travelers supposedly fly twice a month or more-and the photo showed a very svelte women carrying only her purse. Perhaps by the end of all this I will look like her, and learn to pack light.

Doubtful on both counts.

I take off my shoes-of course I wore heels despite my father’s vote for sneakers-and shoved everything in the grey bins.
My messenger bag had to be scanned twice and I held up the line on my way to gate 80.
I board a shuttle where a very kind Southern gentleman offers me the pole to hang on to, seeing as how the strap from the ceiling was a bit too high.

“They sure don’t make these things for shorties, do they?” he said.
No, they don’t. And they don’t make air conditioners for these mono-rails either. Whew!

That leaves me here, sitting, waiting for an hour and a half. My entertainment consists of watching the flight attendants walk by. It must be a requirement to be blonde and beautiful to be a Virgin Atlantic stewardess. I just watched five stalk the runway as they trailed their carry on. Of course I wanted a photo, so I turned the flash off and took the sneaky route. Snap.


There are only 14 people sitting around me, the most interesting character being a tall, tan German woman about 60 years old. She is dressed all in white-white pants, jacket, pearls, shoes and purse. But there’s the metallic gold blouse, and she’s just stuffed the jaket in a plastic bag-probably to keep it clean. Ah! My plane just pulled in!! I think it’s time to get a coffee and listen to some music.

3 comments:

Jesse S. Jones said...

I see you got your blog posted.... you better email when you can from the European continent.

Anonymous said...

This may be part of my daily routine from now on...get to work, start music, open email, check erica's blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I second Kendall's comment. You've made a coveted spot on my favorites toolbar. I can't tell you how many travel blogs I've waded through, each one showcasing poorer writing than the last. Your's is definitely refreshing! Tell us the story about blowing out the electrical system!